Monday, November 17, 2008

My girl, the fighter


Emma had her first mixed martial arts (MMA) tournament this past weekend in Shreveport. She had two events she fought in, stand up sparing (like kickboxing) and grappling (like wrestling). She was so nervous and I was too. She was the only girl in her age division. First she did sparing and fought a 10 year old boy, she came in as runner up and got a medal for that. She was so excited that she even did it and got a medal, I did not have the heart to tell her she really had lost. She did not know the difference, we were just so proud of her getting in there and fighting so hard. Next came the grappling match. She fought this real tough little boy who was her size. We had seen him fight before and we worried if she would make it out unharmed. She fought for a little over 1min. and had him in an arm bar (that is a submission hold) and he was not tapping out for anything. I thought she would break his arm before he finally tapped out (that means I quit). She was sooooo excited she had won and we we so proud of her we were crying. (Don't tell Cory I told you that) Then I saw the little boy, he was crying and holding his arm, I was sure she had broke it. They gave her a trophy and they both left the ring. I tried to get her to go over to the little boy and tell him "good fight", but he would not acknowledge her. I think he was a little embarrassed he had lost and lost to a girl. I felt so sorry for him, but so excited for Emma. Our whole team did great, they all got a medal in one event or the other, Emma and her friend both got trophy's in one event and the other girl fought two different opponents for the title belt. It was so much fun. It has really been good for her and Cory to bond through this. Cory really enjoys it and the competitions, I can see how he always wanted a boy to do sports with. I encourage everyone locally to check out longview mma on line at www.longviewmma.com . They have mens, womens and kids classes. They teach kickboxing, grappling, and self defence. Emma originally got into karate for self defence when a boy at school pinned her against the fence and would not let her go. It has been a great confidence booster for her. Mr. Wade is such a good teacher and is a great guy. He teaches them self control and respect for others. He is and ex-policeman, army guy and 3rd degree black belt. Anyway, enough with the commercial, I don't get a cut. Hope y'all have a great day.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger